Originally settled by the Creek Indians, Peachtree Hills became the homestead of farmer Benjamin Plaster, who built his home near the Southern Railway railroad in 1815.
The first homes were built as small rural or summer retreats by wealthy older Atlantans wanting to leave downtown Atlanta for the seemingly pastoral setting of the area. Lots in the three subdivisions (Peachtree Hills Place, Peachtree Hurst and Peachtree Terrace) sold for $500 in 1912.
In 1938 Raymond Jones built the Peachtree Hills Apartments. Considered then to be avant garde in economical design, they are a rare surviving example of International Style modernism. They were built to house the increasing middle-class population of the sunbelt phenomenon just before and after the war. The Hilltop shopping center, opened in 1939 across the street from the apartments, offered a beauty salon, delicatessen, drugstore and a grocery. This center exists today in renovated form to house small businesses and restaurants.
Today you can still see many of the original Craftsman-style bungalows and Tudor revival brick homes in their forested setting. Two early examples are 183 Lindbergh Dr., built in 1895 and lovingly restored by its present owner, and 60 Peachtree Hills Ave, built before the three subdivisions. Learn more at http://www.peachtreehills.org/